by Lauren E. Berger
College Prowler is an online network that provides students with stats, rankings and student reviews on more than 7,000 schools. College Prowler gives away more than $50,000 in scholarships every year to current and prospective students. For news on scholarships, contests, and college life, visit their blog Campus Chat and like them on Facebook.
1. So, what was your motive behind creating the website?
College Prowler was created to provide students with an overall view of the college they are hoping to attend. In the past, prospective students typically used college websites and brochures, campus tours, friends and family, and popular rankings as a way to decipher between their options, but many of these sources left out key information. While educational quality is always top-of-mind, it’s important that you enjoy every aspect of your college experience; from your academics, to your living situation, to the neighboring community.Your education will be enriched if your overall experience is positive. Ultimately, that is what CollegeProwler.com hopes to provide for our users – an insight into the bigger picture.
2. What are the top 5 things students use most on the website?
Everyone has different purposes and motives for using our site, but most often people are utilizing the following resources. In no particular order…
1. College Reviews, Grades and Rankings -This is the bread and butter of College Prowler!
2. Scholarship Resources/Database
3. Chance of Admission – See how your profile stacks up to students that have been accepted, rejected, waitlisted, or are currently attending.
4. Discussion Board – Asking questions with your peers, counselors, etc.
5. College Survey – Students answer a series of questions on their school, which helps their grading, reviews, and rankings.
3. Is it free to sign up? What are the benefits of registering?
It is totally, 100% free! Registering allows you to view all of the content we have on the schools. You’re also able to be matched with scholarships, tell schools you’re interested in them, leave reviews, and much more! If you don’t register, then you’re really missing out.
4. How can a student get involved as a blogger OR an intern?
Students can get involved in various ways. We always have opportunities for students to become a school author, write for our blog, and occasionally intern with us. If you’re interested in being a guest blogger, simply email blog (at) collegeprowler (dot) com.
5. What is the best way to make the most out of your scholarship application?
This is a great question! Students always ask us how they can improve their chances of winning scholarships. While we have a very simple, $2,000 “No Essay” Scholarship available to all users, we do know a few tricks to help those individuals willing to take on bigger challenges. Some of our tips include:
1. Read, read, read! This seems simple, but is often overlooked. Anxious applicants breeze over questions and forget to stop and really understand what is being asked. Read, rewrite the question in your own words, and tighten that thinking cap!
2. Don’t wait till the last-minute. When you finish the application, put it aside for at least a day, and then come back to it later. Giving yourself a moment to separate from the stress, will allow you to view it with fresh eyes another time.
3. Don’t be afraid to ask your peers. Chances are, you have a lot of friends in the same boat. Don’t be afraid to start a scholarship swap and really critique each other’s applications. You may think your ideas are the best, but sometimes a reality check is needed.
Read this post at internqueen.com